Monday, July 28, 2014

Anticipation

We leave to China in about 11 hours and I'm a bit of a mess.... a happy mess.  We're nearly packed, and the house is somewhat clean and now that I'm starting to relax a little, the emotions are creeping in.  It's just that, after all we went through to be matched to Jordan and all of the paperwork and waiting... and waiting some more......  we are finally going to get Jordan.  Really?  Really!!

I grew up white water rafting.  It is something I did once or twice every summer from the time I was about 5 years old.  My family's river of choice:  The Snake River, near Jackson Hole Wyoming.  I really love that river.  Since I have little kids of my own, I haven't been rafting for several years, but I've been thinking about the river of my childhood a lot lately.  The first half of that river trip is mostly a relaxing float trip.  Sometimes we passed the time by jumping out of the raft to float alongside in our life jackets, or practiced paddling together.  Other times we just sat back to enjoy the beautiful backdrop of the canyon. The first major rapid on that stretch of the river is "Big Kahuna".  If you've never been rafting, I don't know exactly how to describe the feeling of anticipation when the first major rapid on the river comes into sight, but it's great.  And this adoption trip has me feeling the same way.  A mix of excitement, a smidgen of fear, and happiness to finally get the good stuff.  We're ready for the good stuff! 


No comments:

Post a Comment